Our client is one of the UKs fastest growing technology businesses. As a trusted product design and manufacturing partner, their capabilities span the entire product development life cycle.
An exciting place to work, producing market leading products, their team of highly-skilled designers, engineers and technical experts help ambitious companies take advantage of emerging robotics and technologies, working with a select group of partners to conceptualise, scope and produce complex robotics solutions which define the future and deliver real commercial impact.
To succeed they require exceptionally talented and open minded individuals who thrive on variety and freedom to be creative. An opportunity has arisen for a Senior Engineer – Design (Controls) to be based in Northumberland. Duties and responsibilities will include the following: -
- Responsible for the delivery of Product design activities (primarily electrical/electronic and embedded applications) within their specific projects allocated to manage through their team
- In conjunction with the relevant Project Manager, provide the organisational focus and direction for projects, together with responsibility for the achievement of the project deliverables, ensuring products are successfully completed on time, on budget and with minimal risk
- In conjunction with the relevant Project Manager, responsible for adherence to and accurate reporting against the agreed project process for a given product
- In conjunction with the relevant Principal Engineer, responsible for product technical performance from initial concept through to serial production
- Promote and initiate the development, progression and performance management of their team members through business objective cascade in line with the Performance Management Process
- Manage resources to support the Solutions Architecture, Pilot Manufacturing and Production teams
- When appropriate, undertake the responsibilities of a Lead Engineer in delivering projects
- Manage risks, quantification of risk impact and mitigating actions for a given project or product
- Regularly report on product progress from an Engineering perspective, i.e. Engineering output against plan, forecast hours to complete, etc.
- Estimate material and non-recurring engineering (NRE) costs within project timescales
- Estimate and commit to the time required to complete a work package/project stage, communicate potential variance and identify corrective action, as required
- Identify and communicate potential gaps/opportunities in product, process, technology, etc.
- Champion the continuous improvement of both the department and the company
- Manage resource to support multiple projects at any one time
- Lead/champion Initiative
- The ability to inspire, influence and provide guidance to a team of Engineers
- Positive “can-do” approach
- Appropriately challenge ideas/norms
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent commercial awareness
- The ability to analyse complex problems, identify root cause, and assess possible solutions
- Strong decision-making skills
The ideal candidate will be a Chartered Engineer, CEng, or Incorporated Engineer, IEng, or working towards; coupled with a Degree or equivalent in Electrical/Electronic Engineering. Previous experience in a senior technical role, previous experience in managing a team of engineers, broad technical knowledge and background across a range of industries and technologies and broad knowledge of business functions and systems and the ability to understand the commercial perspective